A good selection of games including the SoA sponsored 'Rise of Rome' themed DBA northern cup. Photos and descriptions by Phil Steele at Ancients on the Move.
Wednesday, March 23, 2016
Battle Day this year features the battle of Pharsalus 48 BC, between the rivals for control of the Roman world, Julius Caesar and Pompey. The Battle day take place at Sycamore Hall, Drayton Road, Bletchley, Near Milton Keynes, MK2 3RR and runs from 9am till 5pm (with an hour either side available for games to set up and clear away).
There will be eleven games refighting Pharsalus this year, using eleven different sets of rules and in varying figure scales. We have:
- Armati 15mm
- Command and Colors: Ancients 15mm
- To The Strongest 6mm
- Civitates Bellantes 6mm
- Impetus 15mm
- DBMM 15mm
- Hail Caesar/Lost Battles 10mm/6mm
- Lost Battles 25mm
- Lap of the Gods 15mm
- Warlord 15mm
- Big Battle DBA 15mm
Attendees of Battle Day are asked to pay £10 towards the cost of hiring the Hall and the tables. Juniors and students are free.
Free tea, coffee and biscuits are available all day, a bar (not free!) opens at lunchtime, and there are shops nearby selling sandwiches etc.
Slingshot 305 is currently with the printers and should appear by the end of April. Table of Contents below.
- Holes in the Checkerboard, by Justin Swanton
- It’s a Long Way to Tibareni (2), by Alastair McBeath
- A Note on Herod the Great’s Army, by Dave Beatty
- Saga for Dummies, by Gordon Lawrence
- Late Roman Army & the Notitia Dignitatum (2), by Luke Ueda-Sarson
- A Violent Day on the Via Egnatia, by Chris Hahn
- Slingshot Reviews, by Alastair McBeath, Duncan Head, Claudio Berni, Anthony Clipsom & Jim Webster